Saturday 29 May 2010

Deathblog:
Dennis Hopper
1936 – 2010

Well this has come as a bit of a shock this evening – I didn’t even know he was ill, to coin a phrase.

Obviously there’s a hell of a lot more, both good and bad, to be said about Dennis Hopper than I’m going to say here (he’s one of those rare people who lived a life so packed with incident it actually *demands* an exhaustive doorstop of a biography).

Beyond all the tales that immortalise him as a maniac, a legendary fuck-up, the ultimate Hollywood beatnik outlaw etc. though, I’ll personally remember Hopper as the guy who proved his artistic worth beyond question by getting his shit together long enough to direct one of my all time favourite films, Out Of The Blue.





So yeah, Hopper sure was quite a fella, and pulled off some tremendous stuff in his time both on-screen and off, but you’ll have all the obits in the papers and on proper movie blogs to tell you about that tomorrow. Like I say, for me it’s all a distant second to that one movie. R.I.P.

No comments: