Wednesday 29 August 2012

Penguin Crime Week:
The Case of the Sleepwalkers Niece
by Erle Stanley Gardner
(1963)

(Cover uncredited, but probably the work of Romek Marber.)

I realise I’ve been slacking off my book cover blogging duties recently, but my new acquisitions has been multiplying relentlessly this summer, so time to get back into the swing of things, beginning with a few posts dedicated to those immaculate, green-hued hipsters of the genre fiction shelves, Penguin Crime.

First off, yet another cooler-than-it-likely-has-any-right-to-be Perry Mason cover that gets me wondering whether Penguin’s adoption of the distinctive green colour scheme was inspired in some obscure fashion by the way in which yellow/giallo became so synonymous with the crime genre in Italy. Probably not, but y’know, it’s a thought.

No comments: